HISTORY OF THE SENATORS
The Washington Senators baseball team was one of the American League’s eight charter franchises. The club was founded in Washington, D.C. in 1901 as the Washington Senators. In 1905, the team changed its official name to the Washington Nationals. The name “Nationals” appeared on the uniforms for only two seasons, and was then replaced with the “W” logo for the next 52 years.